School Nurse Job Description
Purpose: The school nurse helps students attain an optimum level of physical, social and emotional health. In order to coordinate a comprehensive student health program, the school nurse must work closely with the staff and administration of ANW Special Education Cooperative #603.
Responsible to: Director, Assistant Director and Coordinators
Salary: Annual Contract
- Current Kansas Board of Nursing License (Registered Nurse) or BSN in nursing.
- CPR certified.
- One-year experience as registered nurse, preferred.
- Certified in Audio logical screening (willing to secure certificate after hiring).
- Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Help students attain an optimum level of physical, social and emotional health.
Establish and maintain a comprehensive health program for students and employees of the school district.
Ensure all activities conform to school district guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the school district.
Work effectively with community organizations.
- React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
- Appropriately operate all equipment as required.
Support the value of an education.
Support the philosophy and mission of the ANW Coop.
Comply with all district policies, rules and regulations.
- Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods.
- Occasionally requires move, life, carry, pull or push medium to heavy work objects or materials. Medium work is defined as exerting 20 to 50 pounds up to heavy work which is defined as exerting 50 to 100 pounds.
- Occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend, and reach.
- Requires extensive use of hands.
- Requires the ability to occasionally travel.
- Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive health program for students and employees of the school district.
- Conducted student health appraisals including:
- Nursing assessments.
- Vision screenings
- Hearing Screenings
- Weighing and measuring.
- Follow-up of problems noted.
- Consultation with teachers and parents regarding health problems.
- Coordinate a program of communicable disease control based on Kansas' immunization laws to include:
- Maintaining immunization records for each student.
- Communicating with parents regarding immunization requirements.
- Coordinate a comprehensive program of caring for students who are injured or who become ill at school.
Provide faculty and staff with first-aid training and supplies as appropriate or as needed.
Provide emergency care for accidents and sudden illness of pupils until parents assume responsibility.
Notify parents and building administrators regarding children who are severely ill or injured.
- Enforce and monitor medication guidelines
- Coordinate and supervise a comprehensive program of dental health education.
Encourage parents to provide their children with annual dental check-ups.
Coordinate and supervise a comprehensive program of health education.
Confer with parents and community agencies concerning the health of children following confidentially guidelines.
Counsel with teachers, students and parents concerning children’s individual health concerns and formulate a plan for facilitating adequate attendance for these students.